Black Beauty® Heavy Traffic Grass Seed 3LB Bag
- Naturally insect resistant
- Roots that can grow up to 4-feet deep
- Very tough, durable turfgrass varieties for high traffic lawns
- Use in full sun to partial-shaded areas where children and pets play
Jonathan Green’s Black Beauty® Heavy Traffic Grass Seed contains our toughest and most durable turfgrass varieties. With an attractive, dark-green color and roots that grow up to 4-feet deep, this mix is perfect for backyards, sports fields, curb strips or anywhere aggressive foot traffic from athletes, children and pets occurs. This grass seed mixture excels on sports fields where uniform lawn texture is important, so soccer, football and baseballs bounce true. Black Beauty® Heavy Traffic provides the wear tolerance and the uniform good looks that these athletic playing fields require. This seed germinates in 10-14 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. Optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use MAG-I-CAL® Plus for Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant, when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 1,200 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 600 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,800 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,750 sq. ft.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 10,000 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 6,250 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Tall Fescues, Perennial Rye
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Excellent
Shade Tolerance: Good
Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade (4 – 8 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Excellent
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 7 – 14 days